more handshape orientations

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 3 10:33:23 UTC 2009

Honza,
Speaking practically,
The only way that I could see more orientations being at all feasible is to have them created by a graphics program, but for practical writing reasons, having more than the 96 one has now would make the writing impossible to ever put in a dictionary.  For animation, one can subdivide to infinity, but for ordinary writing, with any handshapes other than a flat hand, it's very hard to actually distinguish other orientations.  All you use as a visual cue is a small oblong area with various shadings.
Charles Butler

--- On Thu, 9/3/09, Honza <honza at ruce.cz> wrote:

From: Honza <honza at ruce.cz>
Subject: [sw-l] more handshape orientations
To: "SignWriting List" <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Date: Thursday, September 3, 2009, 4:41 AM

Hi Val,

I like to ask if it in the future will be possible to have all 45°
rotations of handshapes instead of current 90°
I know it is possible to do it, and there are some symbols including
this additional four 45° rotations, but it is suitable for "reader
purpose only".
But I need to use SignWriting for more processing and current solution
is not suitable.
anyway without this "additional oriantations" writing is not always
precious enought.

thanks
Honza

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu