more handshape orientations

Thu Sep 3 17:13:57 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 3, 2009

Hello Honza and Charles!
Thank you for the question and thanks too, Charles, for the answer,
which is exactly what I was going to say too ;-))

Honza, I realize that you need the information for precise research,
which is a rare and specific need...

Because the need for in-between palm facings, other than the 6 we
already have, is sooo rare, we decided very purposefully not to add
more palm facings that the basic 6 we already have...because once you
add the basic 8 rotations and all the flops, we have 96 versions of
the same symbol, and it becomes overwhelming for most users...so for
everyday use...no we cannot.

And Charles is right that even though we can do partial shading and
other techniques, it is hard to read the partial shading and some
people assume it is one of the other basic 6 palm facings, so our
attempts at 45 degree palm facings never worked for us...

Maybe, if you are doing special computer programming, you can program
in the information in another way for your database? Because we do not
have the 45 degree palm facings written in SignWriting...

Hope it works out for you...

Val ;-)

------