invisible person in ASL storytelling...

Wed Sep 16 19:20:23 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 16, 2009

On Sep 15, 2009, at 12:32 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:
> I am watching a video (if you can see the video it is the Bible,
> Mark 07_31-37 at .43 on the counter). Jesus is healing a Deaf/Mute
> man. --  First Jesus sticks his fingers into the mans ears and then
> removes them.---- So how do I show to whom Jesus to doing this to...

Hello Jonita and everyone -
You are writing from an ASL videotape that Deaf Missions made of the
Bible. The signer is Patrick Graybill, and he did an excellent
description of Jesus placing his index fingers in a Deaf man's ears to
heal him...when he signed this story, Patrick did not have a real
person to place his index fingers into...he had to show this story in
ASL, without anyone else standing in front of him...

So your job is to try to write what you see Patrick do on the video...

Everyone sees things a little differently, but here is my writing of
this position and movement, plus attached are clips from the video of
Patrick...

How did I write this?

1. First I place the shoulders and head facing the left front corner

2. Second, I write the hands in the sign over to the left side of the
head and shoulders, like this: