invisible person in ASL storytelling...

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Sep 17 14:49:08 UTC 2009

SignWriting List
September 17, 2009

On Sep 17, 2009, at 3:57 AM, Kimberley Shaw wrote:
> Haven't yet seen the video of Graybill (am typing this on my phone),
> but isn't the "invisible person" just an example of routine roleshift
> that storytellers use?
> My half-deaf two cents,
> Kim from Boston

Yes...exactly! It was just routine roleshift that storytellers
use...But the group that had asked the question had actually written a
second person with SignWriting to try to show it, so I was showing
them that they did not have to do that...just write the way it looks
on the video without that second person really standing there!

And Expressive is the standard around the world. Of course, Charles,
if you wish to write Receptive you certainly can, and writing video
does fit well with Receptive....but back in 1984 the Deaf people I
worked with requested the Expressive and we made the big change...and
we rarely place video and the writing side by side like that anyway,
so the Expressive seems to work well for most people...

Interesting messages, everyone!

Val;-)

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help