Welcome to a new member from Morocco!

Meryeme Ayache meryemeayache at GMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 3 23:43:38 UTC 2010

thank you valerie I got your message now and sorry to cause you trouble :)
and for shane yes that will be a great idea to meet and talk about
signwriting

here is the messege that I wanted to send to the mailing list before I got
the comfirmation :

hey everybody,
well I will present myself first I am Meryeme AYACHE a student in ENSIAS (it
is a school of computer engineering in Morocco) I am in my second year. my
nationality is Moroccan :). well during this year we have to realize a
compiler. and I choose to work on "a compiler of ASL (american signed
language) to English). so I have to verify many norms and steps to get this
project done:

1.  get the syntax of this language I mean ASL. and then work on its grammar
that will be introduced in my compiler. (it don't have many ambiguities). I
found out that the FSL (French signed language) does have its
own syntax that is shown in the document attached (place , object, agent,
action) and I am wondering if the ASL does have the same syntax and if it is
limited or not.

2. have a full treatment of the tokens (and I mean with the tokens those
signs used in the American Sign Language); I have to think about how to
insert those signs from the keyboard. I had some suggestions saying that I
can drag and drop them and put them in the sentence but the problem is that
we are going to eliminate the lexical analyzer that has to refuse all the
symbols or characters that do not belong to ASL: so that will not make a
good compiler or a full one ....sad face.... however I thought about just
using the font of those signs but the problem of the font that it gives you
only letters in the ASL and we have to have more signs to have a full
sentence because as you know in the ASL we do have gestures and movement
signed. so here is my first obstacle.

3.when I was thinking about the syntactical analyzer I was thinking if there
are some ambiguities. I want to say if there is same symbol that stands for
two words (like in english we have one word that can be used
in different contexts or may be two synonyms that mean the same thing. so
this will cause us some fuzziness in the language though.

4. and for the dictionary: I got the chance to go on the website
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/ but this dictionary is really
missed us and you not organized so I will try to work on this too to have a
better dictionary for my compiler

     so here is the main problems that I found during my researches, can any
one help me in the project and here is a specific document that explain
pretty much what I want to do exactly. well my project is due the next month
I mean due jannuary 2011 but I can continue in the project if it is not done
since I consider it as a personal project as well.
thank you for your help and I really hope that we can work on this project
because it can facilitate the communication between normal people and deaf
people as well. because if we can realize this project we can use it in
ichat for example. I mean the deaf person can type in ASL and the compiler
will turn it to English and we can send it to a normal person. so any
suggestions are welcomed :)

--
Meryeme Ayache.*
**Elève ingénieur ( 2ème année )