copy and past

Wed Dec 15 16:48:48 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
December 15, 2010

Hello Bill and Meryeme -

Very true...thank you Bill...so here is my question...Does Notepad accept Unicode? For example, text can also be written Arabic, written Chinese and so forth, using Unicode...

I haven't used MS-DOS in years, but my memory is that Notepad is only ASCIII characters?

Can you write Arabic in Notepad, Meryeme?

In recent years, Steve Slevinski developed a way to place SignWriting symbols into UTF8, which is not the official Unicode, but getting closer...I wonder if UTF8 could work in Notepad? probably not -

Can you use another program, like WordPad, Meryeme? Or Microsoft Word? Does WordPad accept graphics? We know Word does...

Inside the SignWriter DOS program, the SignWriting symbols act like text. But outside the SignWriter DOS environment, they become graphics, except for Steve's special work with Binary SignWriting (BSW) and UTF8: http://www.signbank.org/bsw/

So if you need the graphics of each symbol, Meryeme, you can download the complete symbolset in .png format, or possibly in .gif format for the old symbols used in SignWriter DOS, without using any program.

Go to SymbolBank download page for SignWriter DOS symbols: sss-1995:
http://www.movementwriting.org/symbolbank/IMWA2004/IMWA-Downloads.html

If you need the graphics of completely written signs, that is different - I use SignPuddle to do that, or SignWriter Java, rather than MS-DOS -

Maybe Stefan will know how to do it from MS-DOS?

Val ;-)

---------