SWML site

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 24 16:39:27 UTC 2010

Thanks, my memory is faulty, as I'm used to the 10 group talking point.   I sit corrected.

Charles

________________________________
From: Steve Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Wed, February 24, 2010 11:12:42 AM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] SWML site

Hi Charles,

Just to clarify.

The ISWA has 7 categories.  Your example of fast uses category 5 (SymbolGroup 28 : dynamics). http://signbank.org/swis/iswa/59584_sg.html

Category 7 (SymbolGroup 30: Advanced Sorting) is different and the topic of discussion.
http://signbank.org/swis/iswa/60832_sg.html

Categories 1 thru 5 (SymbolGroups 1 thru 28) are the writing symbols.  Only writing symbols are allowed in the spelling of a sign.

Category 6 (SymbolGroup 29: punctuation) is not allowed in the spelling or sequence of a sign.  It is always used by itself in the middle lane.

Category 7 (SymbolGroup 30: advanced sorting) is not allowed in the spelling of a sign but is allowed in the SignSpelling Sequence of a sign.

The Sign Symbol Sequence is the order of the symbols in the  ISWA.  The term was used by Valerie to replace the term alphabetical order.  Alphabetical order, while technically correct for SignWriting, caused confusion because of the association between finger spelling and the Roman alphabet.  We sort by Sign Symbol Sequence order, but this is the order of the symbols for the entire ISWA.

The SignSpelling Sequence is a list of writing and sorting symbols for an individual sign.  This sequence of symbols is used for sorting.

Regards,
-Steve

SW-L at majordomo.valenciacc.edu

List Archives and Help