question for the way to express 'made'

Sandy Fleming sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK
Fri Jan 8 08:59:56 UTC 2010

I'd agree with Trevor's grammar here:

PAST FOOD COOK (hold with aspect) FINISHED.

"PAST" is the time marker (there's no actual tense in BSL) and generally
comes in the narrative before the things that happen at that time

"FINISHED" (or "BEEN") is the perfective aspect, and follows the verb
(though not all aspect is handled this way).

But Shane's:

FOOD COOK PAST

isn't wrong, it just needs support from non-manual features, as he
points out. To me it gives a different emphasis, more on WHEN the food
was cooked, rather than the actual cooking.

Does anyone perceive any semantic difference between:

FOOD COOK FINISHED

and:

FOOD COOK BEEN

in BSL? You'd think that "FINISHED" would have more of an achievement
associated with it but it seems to me that this connotation is lost in
using it as a perfective.

I would love to write some grammar rules for SignWriting BSL: that sort
of thing would help people to write with more confidence, I think, but I
don't really feel qualified.

Sandy