question for the way to express 'made'

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 10 01:18:54 UTC 2010

Cherie Wren,

I guess I would write, as opposed to Sutton-Spence and Woll in Linguistics that ASL does have tense as a meta-language, but the grammar of the language does not put the tense markers on the particular verb cheremes, but on the utterances as a whole.  Just like math -(3x + 5x +9y) = -9y - 8x.  The negative on the one side applies to the entire parentheses and everything in it.  So "Yesterday (I make snowmen, slide down hills, climb up again)" becomes, "Yesterday, I made snowmen, slid down hills, and climbed up again" in English The tense exists as a distributive over the entire phrase.  The language does have tenses, and can fix actions at given points in time, by modifiers such as continually, constantly, repetitively, or clumsily--all of which may modify the action in some way to express both time and manner.

Does that help?

Charles Butler

________________________________
From: Cherie Wren <cwterp at yahoo.com>
To: SignWriting List <sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu>
Sent: Sat, January 9, 2010 6:56:46 PM
Subject: Re: [sw-l] question for the way to express 'made'

Sorry I am an interpreter, not a linguist.  I have to constantly defend against people who say ASL isn't a real language because it doesn't have______;  when ASL just handles that particular ___ differently than English.  Or "ASL doesn't have a word for ___"    etc.  In Linguist-Speak, maybe ASL and BSL don't "have tense" but what I mean is ASL does differentiate between past, present and future, it just does not mark each individual verb in the entire discourse like English does.  I don't know the formal linguist definition for tense, or requirements for 'having' tense, but ASL does manage to convey past, present, future, '-ing', '-ed' etc.

cherie