embedding ASL in pdf/html

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 24 10:26:02 UTC 2010

My feeling too - it is dangerous ground. But if it made clear that:

1) ASL and other sign languages are real languages, used by real people
2) as real languages, they have their own grammar
3) that what is used in your game is individual signs borrowed from ASL, and not the real ASL language
4) that learning the signs of ASL is not learning ASL
5) that knowing ASL signs may ease communication with ASL signers, if you are aware of the limitations mentioned above.

If this is not made very clear in the use of the signs, I fully understand how this make give a feeling of being 'raped' . Deaf people have been through so many hard times trying to make other understand, that they are often quite a bit sensitive to this issue. At the same time, when showing with humilty and respect, a person who uses signs haltingly is usually made to feel welcome in a signing setting. At least, this is my experience

Ingvild
(Norway, non-Deaf)