My signing avatar

SignWriting signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Mar 12 15:46:59 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
March 12, 2010

Congratulations, Kate!
It is great to see an avatar using SignWriting again (I worked a little with the avatar project in Greece years ago)...It is amazing to realize that SignWriting was used to instruct this avatar to move....

I had a little trouble getting the .avi format to work. So I made an .mpg version of it...Here is the mpg version attached, which works on my Mac...

But by the way, this sign does not mean HELLO in ASL... I noticed the avi file was named hello.avi...The sign for HELLO in ASL uses a flat hand, not an index finger...but that doesn't matter, since the avatar is doing the movement correctly that is written...although his finger is not in the same height as the SignWriting...the SignWriting itself could be written better, if you really want the finger to be touching near the right eye as the avatar is doing, then the handshape in the SignWriting needs to be lower and the finger needs to be really pointing to the area of the face where the eye is...it depends on how exact you want this to be...

No matter what, this is a great achievement - Attached is the .mpg version...