AW: The graphemes of SignWriting

Thu Oct 7 11:14:08 UTC 2010

Hi Steve,

I liked to read your text and agree ...

What comes to my mind is that for what reason ever Valerie and Richard
Gleaves probably did some brainstorming regarding the width and height of
all the symbols of the first symbol set. At that time there had been
limitations due to the possibilities of the DOS pixel graphic representation
in the good old SignWriter DOS programm...

When I started to learn and to dive into SignWriting I took the chance to
compare all the different symbols - length of fingers, seize of head circle

So I learned that two fists just match the height of a flathand. The
flathand can be written into the head circle - the index finger is as long
as a fist -square .....

I think it would make sense to mention that behind these proportions between
the single symbols in their visual appearance is a well calculated genius
idea. Looking at the signs written with SignWriter DOS or SignPuddle the
whole "pictogram" looks so well balanced. And this is what I never miss to
point out to new students of GebärdenSchrift - Writing by hand  becomes much
more easy if you develop a map of these proportions ...

Just my idea ...

Stefan ;-)

PS - did you say that in the near future you would be able to use vector
based symbols?? for SignPuddle documents?