AW: WG: neue email adresse

Mon Sep 13 20:49:51 UTC 2010

SignWriting List
September 13, 2010

Hello Stefan -
So why not suggest to your students to use Microsoft Outlook as well as GoogleMail, since both of them work? ;-)

That is a very good question about the added attachment - I have no idea why. Since SignPuddle is being re-designed right now anyway, I think it is best that Steve complete the new SignPuddle 2.0, rather than try to fix the old program right now, which may not be used in a few months anyway...

The old SignMail program will definitely get an upgrade, and at that time, if we find problems with the new program, of course we will focus on fixing the new program, to make it the best it can be...so the future is bright ;-)

Meanwhile we are managing as we are right now, until the new program is ready -

Software is never perfect, but it is better than not having any software at all!

The first decade of SignWriting, from 1974 to 1985, existed without any software. We wrote everything by hand...both daily writing and formal publications...the formal publications were done with fine ink pens and stencils and transfer sheets to help us, and it took a lot longer to create a publication, and it was not as standardized without computers - so I am so grateful to have software...I admire the monks who wrote the first Bibles by hand with ink pens centuries ago - we went through that publishing the SignWriter Newspaper, which was a 20 page newspaper, using ink pens...from 1981-1984...

SignWriter Newspaper History
http://www.signwriting.org/library/history/hist005.html

Then the irony to it all was decades later, when we had software, people were skeptical that anyone could write SignWriting by hand, because they assumed that we started SignWriting with computers, but not at all...SignWriting began as a handwritten writing system that was already used and established before the first computer program was developed by Richard Gleaves in 1986, which was SignWriter for the Apple //e and //c. Then years later we transferred SignWriter to DOS, and you know the rest of the history...smile...then came SignWriter Java and Tiger and Python, and SW-Edit and other software from Brazil, and then SignPuddle and the related PocketPuddle and PersonalPuddle...the SignWriting Image Server (SWIS) etc...

And new programs are being developed now in several countries, besides SignPuddle 2.0... as soon as they are ready we will enjoy them of course!

But meanwhile, I understand that your students are writing by hand fluently...isn't that right, Stefan? Erika told me how impressed she is with your student's skill to write SignWriting by hand on the blackboard at school - I think so too ;-))

Val ;-)

------