QUESTION...Which do you prefer in ASL?

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Wed Sep 22 16:12:44 UTC 2010

  Val,
The way I sign "hundred" is different, depending on the person.  Some
perceive 1-C-0-1 easier, while others need 1-0-1 and some need me to
mouth each number rather than "one hundred" or even mouth "one oh
one."    I'll often go through possible combinations until I see that it
clicks with them.   Most of the reason is simply because they're not
expecting a number, so anything that helps them see that I'm signing
numbers instead of words would work.    Sometimes I need to sign
"number", first, so they're prepared.   All this, of course, is during
discourse.   And, like Kelly Jo, I'll pull the hand back from the 1 when
making the C.

When Kelly Jo mentioned that (appends the C onto the first 1), I thought
of subscripts.

Can manual signs be used as subscript or superscript?  Would it be too
complicated?  Would any particular part of a sign be considered that
way?   I'm curious whether using subscripts after a one to denote
hundred, thousand, million, billion, etc, would be a way of writing
numbers in Signwriting, even if there is no comparative sign, similar to
how commas are used in other alphabets but are not part of the spoken
number.    For example, in English "one million, one hundred thirty-five
thousand, 3 hundred and twenty-five" is written 1,135,325.   Both ways
use different conventions to show the number.

Of course, that also supports writing with just numbers.   And if a book
such as War and Peace is ever translated into a signed language, there
would be a need for a thousands marker.

Do we need to go there?  Do we need to consider the full possible
spectrum of a numbering system when writing?

Bill