Query on Handshape

Thu Feb 24 15:47:30 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
February 24, 2011

Hello Charles, Stefan and everyone -

Thank you for your messages...

No one is using the ISWA 2010 yet...

Although the symbolset was completed in 2010, and although it has been documented on the web in the ISWA 2010 HTML Reference Manual, it has not been installed yet, into SignPuddle Online.

International SignWriting Alphabet 2010 (ISWA 2010)
HTML Reference Manual
http://www.signbank.org/iswa/

The current symbolset in SignPuddle 1.5, which we are writing with, on the web, is the ISWA 2008...

SignPuddle Online
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/

When SignPuddle 1.6, and SignWriter Studio, and SignBank 2011 are completed and on the web for us to use, then we will be using the ISWA 2010, which has many more handshapes than the current ISWA 2008.

I believe one of the handshapes you mentioned, Charles, will be in the new ISWA 2010, but the other one will have to be constructed, and there is nothing we can do about that - there will always be new handshapes that are not in the current symbolset, because there are probably close to 1000 possible positions of the human hand, if not more (I really mean that, if you write touching every finger on every side, with various combinations of fingers up or down it is a huge amount of handshapes)

So when we do start using the ISWA 2010, you will be working with 261 handshapes - which is more than in the current ISWA 2008. That will help.

Most sign languages use around 80 or 90 of those 261.

Val ;-)