Oh my heavens, I missed a birthday :)

Thor Malmjursson lightningstrike35 at LIVE.NL
Sat Feb 26 05:02:43 UTC 2011

Hi Valerie, and hello to all on the list :)  Apologies for the long message which is about to follow!

This is the link to your Tunisia video as it stands at the moment - the captions on it are enabled by clicking the [CC] icon in the toolbar below the video. It's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC6SbMTVjzI

I managed to caption it up to about 8 minutes 20 seconds, so if someone knows how to caption in text, they are welcome to complete it :)

I'll show you a little of how to caption the video if I may. It's actually pretty simple once you get the hang of it, and if you have the patience :D

All you need to produce the captions is a very simple word processor, like Wordpad or Notepad in windows, or KATE if you use linux, and a video player which will give you fairly accurate time when you pause the video.

For example, the very first sentences you speak in the video, are captioned like this:

0:00:01.174,0:00:07.424
Ok. My name is Valerie Sutton, and
I'm very excited to be here today.

The first line shows the start point for the caption, in this case, 1 second and 174 milliseconds - then it shows the end point of the caption, 7 seconds and 424 milliseconds.

The next part is very straightforward. What you see is what you get, quite literally.  The top line of text appears at the top of the caption, the line below it appears underneath.

When you write the file, all you do is keep pausing the video when the person starts to talk, and note the time they do so. Then continue the video, and pause it again when they stop. This is your caption start and end point.  Note these exactly as you see them above.  Underneath, write the one or two lines of text you want to put in the caption, then hit enter and leave an empty line between captions.

You can also include certain symbols, like # which we use in the UK to denote someone singing, for example.

When you've finished captioning the video, you save the text file you wrote with a specific file extension, either .srt or .sbv, both of which are caption formats.

Using a video player like vlc (www.videolan.org), you start your video, pause it and then click "Video", select subtitle track, and Load subtitle - pick the file you just saved, and your captions will play along with the video :)

I know the above looks complicated, but trust me, it's not that hard.  If you try it and get stuck, you're welcome to email me whenever you need to!

Best regards, hope you enjoy the video and the captions.

Thor :)