SignWriting in Portugal - New project developing materials

Rafaela Silva rsilva16 at MSN.COM
Sun Jan 16 02:13:32 UTC 2011

Hello everyone!

Like Valerie suggested.. let me tell you about my project:

First of all, my name is Rafaela and I am a Sign Language Interpreter in
Portugal.

Right now, I am doing my Masters where I intend to study the signwriting and
apply it to the portuguese sign language.

Thus, at this point I am trying to collect as much material as possible in
order to make the theoretical.

My idea for the first part is to start by explaining that sign languages
have characteristics of languages, particularly the arbitrariness and
conventionality (I'm not sure if in English the words are correct, we say in
Portuguese "convencionalidade" and "arbitrariedade"). In follow, I want to
allude to William Stokoe, the first to recognize the linguistic status of
the SL.

The second part is devoted to signwriting: where, how, and why has arisen:
who invented it, what are their characteristics, what are the benefits of
using this system, among others ...

So if they are available to collaborate with me I am open to any suggestion.

Thank you very much

Rafa :)