Wikipedia article

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart.lists at GMAIL.COM
Fri Jun 3 06:08:56 UTC 2011

Well, I don't think the point of the original poster is transliterating or
English signing. I think you might be misunderstanding. The point of the
original poster from what I saw is that he was unable to figure out from his
knowledge of ASL and the printed text what signs were being represented in
the ASL text. He was using the English as a Rosetta Stone to understand how
SignWriting works. It is a kind of bridge literacy. This is similar to what
I did when I first started learning SignWriting back in the 90's. The
example I was looking at was the article written by Lucinda O'Grady Batch
("A Deaf Perspective") and I looked at what I could find on the SignWriting
website. Gradually, between my knowledge of ASL and my knowledge of English
and the information on the website, I was able to piece together how
SignWriting worked. Later, after I bought the handbook and asked more
questions, I began to understand more. That document was an excellent place
to start because there were limited instances of poetry or strong classifier
usage or places where the English and ASL might diverge too much. So, his
point that a simpler document would be a better introduction is a good
suggestion. We can still use Cherie's document as a way of showing how
SignWriting also handles classifiers and other "more complicated" ASL
constructions. It isn't a matter of either/or. It is both/and, in my
opinion.

Thanks,

Stuart