Wikipedia article

Thu Jun 2 23:40:54 UTC 2011

SignWriting List
June 2, 2011

This is not true everyone - The first sign language ever written in SignWriting was Danish Sign Language. The second sign language ever written were individual signs from a South Pacific Island. Then came ASL ... really...  I lived in Denmark when I developed SignWriting and the South Pacific Island research was taken from video during a research project at the University of Copenhagen - then I returned to my homeland in the US and contacted Deaf people in the US...so SignWriting was not built on any knowledge of ASL - I did not know how to sign anything - we were writing movement from video or from watching people sign...then Deaf people got involved and starting writing their own language and when that happened, everything improved...

Val ;-)

----