Recently approved MA Thesis on SignWriting

Stuart Thiessen thiessenstuart.lists at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 10 15:40:48 UTC 2011

Thanks for the questions. I have been travelling for work so I haven't had a
chance to check responses to my email until now. :) I arrive home tonight. I
will reply with answers to your questions and other questions in this
thread.

Let me say this much and then I'll respond more specifically later. My goal
for the thesis was to provide an analysis of the symbols based on the
symbols themselves and then look for predictable rules that can help us
develop rules that a computer can use to predict placement. Where possible,
predicted placement can help us have more predictable spellings and less
variations. I did want to talk more in detail about placement issues, but I
did not have time because I needed to describe each symbol category in depth
first. My last 2 chapters deal with placement questions. The research I was
able to do gives me some ideas on how placement could be handled, but I
would need more time to develop that.

Thanks,

Stuart