2nd call for participation Signed Language Phonology Workshop, Vannes, France, July 6-8, 2011
sutton at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Wed May 18 19:23:11 UTC 2011
May 18, 2011
From: "Kyle Duarte" <kyle at KDUARTE.COM>
Date: May 18, 2011 4:22:31 AM PDT
To: SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU
Subject: [2nd call for participation] Signed Language Phonology Workshop, Vannes, France, July 6-8, 2011
Reply-To: "linguists interested in signed languages" <SLLING-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACC.EDU>
The VALORIA Lab at l'Université de Bretagne-Sud, Vannes, France is proud to host the
Signed Language Phonology Workshop, Vannes, France, July 6-8, 2011
We invite researchers interested in the phonetics and phonology of signed languages to come discuss current trends in the areas of notation and analysis.
Call for participation:
One half day will be devoted to the Mini-workshop on phonetic annotation templates for technology: challenges encountered and novel solutions.
We are looking for 3-4 presentations of 20-30 minutes that discuss the use of technology for the phonologist/phoneticist. They will serve as discussion topics for the group, and should respond to these and similar questions:
- How have you designed your annotation template for ELAN, Anvil, or similar software to fit best with your needs for phonological annotation and analysis?
- How do software functions/features facilitate your phonetic annotation or analysis?
- And to a lesser extent, what additions or modifications would you like to see to technology to aid your annotation or analysis?
Submissions can be made at the workshop website, http://www-valoria.univ-ubs.fr/signcom/SLPW/ by June 3, 2011.
Wednesday, July 6, 9:00 - 18:00
- Robert E. Johnson, building on previous presentations at phonetics workshops held in Orsay, France, June 2008, November 2008, and May 2009, will offer a short review and detailed update of the notation system he and Scott Liddell have been developing.
Thursday, July 7, 9:00 - 17:00
- Mini-workshop on phonetic annotation and technology: challenges encountered and novel solutions. Participants interested in giving short presentations of how they have used software for annotation or analysis are invited to submit an abstract (see below).
- Mini-workshop on sign analysis: participants' data. All participants are asked to bring interesting phonetic or phonological examples from their data (difficult-to-annotate hand configurations; phonological processes, for example from surrounding signs; complex sign asynchronicity or asymmetry; etc.).
Friday, July 8, 9:00 - 12:30
- Mini-workshop/challenge in groups: 20-second video annotation. Participants will be provided with a 20-second video clip and will be asked to annotate their data according to the Liddell and Johnson phonetic notation system. Results will be compared and discussed.
Université de Bretagne-Sud
Dates: July 6-8, 2011
The official languages of the workshop are English and International Sign (IS).
June 3, 2011 - Deadline to submit an abstract to the Mini-workshop on phonetic annotation templates for technology: challenges encountered and novel solutions
June 17, 2011 - Deadline to register for the workshop
We look forward to seeing you at the workshop, July 6-8!
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Sw-l