1 - News handshapes in Brazilian Sign Language (LSB/Libras)

Madson Barreto barretobh at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 25 10:23:58 UTC 2011

Hello Valerie and Stefan,

Thank you very much for the posts and explanations.
I will use writing with two fingers bent, with the little finger out as illustrated.

Regards,

Madson Barreto

November 24, 2011

Hello Madson and Stefan -
Thanks to you both for the good suggestions…

I like both of your ways of writing this hand symbol - I can read both of them clearly because it is obvious in both versions that:

1. the two fingers bend and…

2. the root of the symbol is a tight fist

There are actually two other ways that this hand symbol could be written - One of them is to write Stefan's version with an angle out for the little finger...years ago we made the little finger at an angle to the square for the fist, so that readers would hopefully not confuse the little finger with the index finger…please excuse my lousy artwork - I just did this quickly…of course the little finger line should be a little shorter at an angle:

And the other way of writing this is to have the two fingers bend relating into each other…always bending towards each other as if they are talking to each other…

I am happy no matter what you choose - all that matters is that we can read the symbols…If there is a bend in both fingers and there is a square for the fist, that is enough to read the symbol…

Val ;-)

On Nov 24, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:

I would write this handshape this way –

>Stefan

Hello Valerie and everyone,