AW: AW: Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift

Stefan Wöhrmann stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 17 18:29:58 UTC 2011

Hi Erika,

thank you soooo much for your comment. Hopefully this helps to clarify!

Stefan

  _____

Von: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] Im Auftrag von Erika
Hoffmann-Dilloway
Gesendet: Montag, 17. Oktober 2011 17:22
An: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Betreff: Re: AW: Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift

Just to chime in, as Stefan said, Mundbilder isn't meant to represent the
whole articulation of the word. It just represents what mouth movements are
visible on the face when signers using DGS perform signs. And, as he
mentioned, we found that these mouth movements were performed even by
signers who did not know the German word that might be assumed to be
associated with the movement - the movements were simply acquired as part of
the sign. One need not associate them with speech. As Ingvild and Stefan
have also noted, sometimes the part of the sign that appears on the face is
the element of that creates a minimal pair with another sign. So even in a
very pared down way of writing DGS, these mouth movements would be useful.
Yes, it would be very cumbersome to write all the heads for the whole
articulated German words using Mundbildschrift. But, as Charles notes, most
of those movements aren't visible and don't need to be written in
Mundbilder, which usually only needs to show a few heads.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:58 AM, Charles Butler <chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com>