AW: AW: Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 17 18:30:09 UTC 2011

Thnk you Stefan,

yes, mouthing is part of many signed languages in Europe. So many signs are not complete without the appropriate mouth. SOme of these mouth-forms/shapes are not borrowed from Norwegian spoken language, but are special to the Norwegian SL. But many, if not most, signs (especially nouns) have mouthing of the visible part of a Norwegian word as essential parts.

Norwegian SL is not like ASL, there is not a lot of fingerspelling. Borrowing from Norwegian spoken lanugage is mostly done by mouthing.

I prefer to write the mouthing by using symbols from SignWriting to the old solution of writing roman letters close to the mouth. That solution was because we had nothing else - it was fast and easy, but could confuse readers as to what is NSL and what is spoken Norwegian.

I am sure that the case for Germany is about the same as for Norwegian.

I would love for the Norwegian deaf kids to learn how to use Mundbildschrift to help them read lips and speak better - that is a good thing in a hearing society.

I do love that they can write their own language and compare that to the majority language by using SIgnWriting. The goal for deaf education in Norway is not to make the deaf kids speak and read Norwegain, it is to make them educated people who can be as competent as possible in as many aeras as possible. That is why they are learning Notwegian, Norwegian Sign language, English, British Sign language, and all other subjects that any Norwegain kid is to learn.

Ingvild

Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2011 20:07:06 +0200
From: stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Subject: AW: AW: Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

Hi Charles, Ingvild, Valerie, Bill ...

first of all - what an interesting discussion. Thanks
for that!

I learn from your comments that it is difficult to
explain. I tried my best but perhaps my English is not good enough. Erika
Hoffmann should be able to explain it better than I can. She spent some time in
my classes. We had been so tremdously successful to investigate about
Mundbilder. Erika was present when I asked my students to write by hand at the
blackboard ...

The two systems look very similar but should not get
mixed. Perhaps this may cause confusion.

What do you want me to do? You think it is difficult to
write English words "red" and
"green" in Mundbildschrift in order to practice articulation? No - it is easy
and in fact for this case I had to invent a special symbol to indicate this
special "r" which is not to be found in German Spoken language.

You think it is difficult to write Mundbilder for the
signs "red" and "green" ? Well perhaps this is not neccessary if there are no
other signs that can be misunderstood as "red" and "green"

You are right - my invention "Mundbildschrift" is meant
to support deaf students to improve articulation and to expand their vocabulary
in spoken language. So this has almost nothing to do with Sign Language and
SignWriting.

Apart from that I defined "Mundbilder in der
GebaerdenSchrift" which cover that part of information a deaf signer would
perform while comunicating in Sign Language.

Perhaps it is hard to believe for an ASL - signer but
the way Ingvild explained  it is absolut correct. German Sign Language
(DGS) includes quite a bit of this kind of information coming from your lips
and and tongue as if pronouncing at least a part of a German word.

These informations are crucial in order to read
SW-documents for DGS fluently and to understand the idea behind it. So this is
not a cued speech or what ever hearing oriented system. This is important to
understand.

All the best

Stefan ;-)