AW: AW: Mundbilder in der GebaerdenSchrift

Stefan Wöhrmann stefanwoehrmann at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 17 18:18:10 UTC 2011

Hi Charles and friends

Wow - I loved to read this message!

.... your system is used for Deaf chlidren to learn to read and interpret
and write spoken German and translate from German sign language into proper
spoken or written German.

Well  - it is not "my" system. It is my method. And it is only a part of the
whole thing!

".... However, most educators in the US are looking at teaching English to
the Deaf and though communicating with the Deaf in ASL they are looking at
getting the Deaf to understand and read and write spoken English. The
purpose of the classroom is to teach English, not to examine and honor ASL
in its own right as its own language."

I would love to meet people who understand that in order to become smart it
is important to communicate in a strong communication - system which turns
out to be Sign Language for deaf students. At least in Germany that would
not be enough to get along pretty good in the hearing society. All the
written materials and all the situations when you have to communicate with a
hearing person without any interpreter at hand - you are much better off if
you improve your spoken language skills!

Their ONLY argument was "why should I teach SW to ANY Deaf children when
what I want to do is teach them ENGLISH"

They should invite me! - smile I would be able to give an inspiring lecture
and demonstration and workshop! hahaha

.... German to Deaf kids, not be used as an everyday common writing system
for Deaf Germans whose only language is German Sign Language.

Well we use GebaerdenSchrift exactly for that purpose as well - to document
and preserve and learn German Sign Language as it is...

Greetings

Stefan

  _____