NEW: Clown correction

Adam Frost icemandeaf at GMAIL.COM
Mon Sep 12 16:30:25 UTC 2011

I'm assuming the sign you are referring to is:

While I personally don't do it with this down movement, we aren't talking about that at the moment. ;-)

Technically speaking, the hand symbol is the correct one for what the symbol was intended to mean. If you look at the book that Val and I just wrote, the image of my hand and the symbol match.

 I know that the thumb seems to be on the wrong side; so do the fingers. There is a reason for that. This isn't official because I need to test it, but from personal observation I have found that when a handshape has the thumb interacting with the other fingers (ie as if it can hold a physical object), the symbol construction points the fingers to the center of the body and is static and does not rotate like most of the other symbols. So this hand symbol falls in that category.

Now, my understanding is that there are some who say that these hand symbols should rotate just like the other symbols. That means this writing of clown should be:

The problem is that since the hand is on the left side of the face, many readers feel that is for the left hand as opposed to the right hand. That is the reason all those symbols were made static and not rotate like the rest.

I hope this helps clarify why the hand symbol used is actually not wrong.

Adam