Surface Symbols (previous thread: Position Symbols)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Apr 5 20:47:58 UTC 2012

compar maos
Please look up "compar maos" on the Brazilian Sign Puddle and see if I got it right.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
From: Madson Barreto <barretobh at GMAIL.COM>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:13 PM
Subject: Re: Surface Symbols (previous thread: Position Symbols)

Happy Easter to all!

Valerie, thank you for being so helpful and clarify our doubts. Thank you also for your gracious words about us.

Sorry for the delay in responding. These days we have been solving many things and time was short.

We now understand how to work the Surface Symbols in general, except when they use the symbols for "between". We can not think of any example in Sign Language observing the explanations of Stuart Thiessen.

The remaining patients are now clear. The four ways of writing that you posted are excellent and cleared our minds even more.

We talked and analyze each signal.
- The way 1 is was incorrect;
- For everyday writing four would use the way, in other circumstances or formality, the way we would use 2 or 3.

We prefer the  way 3 because the symbols are distributed more clearly, allowing for faster reading.

In the way 2, the surface symbol along with star symbol touch and realize that the process of reading is a bit slower.

Again, thanks to everyone who contributed to our understanding.

Regards,

Madson and Raquel Barreto

April 3, 2012

Here are five ways to write this sign. Which do you prefer? And how do we read these signs? It will be good to discuss this.

1. The Surface Symbol tells us that one hand is in front of the other, but because it is placed near the Flat Hand, could it be that the Flat Hand is supposed to be in front of the Fist? It is a well written sign, but that is the one question I have with it - The placement of the Surface Symbol near the Flat Hand confused me at first…

2. In this one, the Contact Star is placed at the end of the arrow, showing that there is contact at the end of the movement. It also tells us that the contact at the end is "in front of" the hand it is contacting.

3. This one states the same, but the "in front of" is placed underneath the Fist…

4. And the last one is the way I would write it, if it is not incorrect. It depends on what you are doing - if it is for everyday use, then seeing it from the side, and also eliminating all Surface Symbols and Contact symbols is the way we write here. The Contact is assumed since the two hand symbols are written so close to each other. Our goal is usually simplicity for daily writing.

Thank you again for the great photos below…

So how do you feel about the placement of these symbols and which ones above do you prefer?