SignPuddle 2.0 is Live

Tue Apr 17 22:13:38 UTC 2012

Hi Maria,

I'm glad you like the Search by Groups.  It's one of my favorite
additions because it showcases some of the new searching goodness.

> one small question - once you are at your welcoming page it gives a count
> of the entries and two other counts - could you explain these
>
> 362 Total Entries
> 2405 Unique Signs
> 3348 Sign Occurrences

Each puddle is a collection of individual entries.  Each entry has an id
number, also called the puddle page.  An entry can be used to record
individual signs and/or longer sign texts.

Each entry can have:
* An individual sign
* An extended sign text
* Several spoken language terms
* An extended spoken language text
* A source

The "Total Entries" is a simple count of the number of entries in a puddle.

The sign counts are created by searching an entire puddle and grab all
of the individual signs and all of the sign texts.  The total number of
signs found in a puddle is the number of "Sign Occurrences", or how many
signs occurred anywhere in the puddle.  From all of the signs that
occurred, the number of unique signs disregards any duplicates to
calculate the number of "Unique Signs". For signs to be considered the
same, they must be exactly the same, except for lane.  Signs that are
approximately the same are each counted as unique even though the
difference in spelling may be meaningless.

If we look at the numbers you included in your email:

362 Total Entries
2405 Unique Signs
3348 Sign Occurrences

This puddle would obviously include a lot of sign texts because the sign
count is more than the total number of entries.

Like a regular word count, the "Sign Occurrences" of 3348 simply counted
how many signs were found in the puddle.  The number of "Unique Signs"
is smaller because some signs were repeated. Signs are most often
repeated because they are used in a SignText.

Hope that helps,
-Steve