Glyph vs Symbol

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 15 13:43:37 UTC 2012

I think that glyph, used in sign-symbol-sequence conveys a clearer idea of the placement of the symbols than "symbol" alone. Coming from hieroglyphic people associate it with human based symbols, not simply symbols like "&" ampersand which convey a meaning in spoken language. If one downloads from the SignPuddle without naming the sign, the word "glyph" is used for the whole sign representation.

It has been used in discussion for both the whole "sign" and the individual parts of it as "more than one kind of symbol" together. So one has handshapes, movement symbols, speed, prosody, but all of them together are glyphs.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: MARIA GALEA <maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Saturday, September 15, 2012 6:56 AM
Subject: Re: ISWA (2010) Detailed Location symbols

Hi Claudia-
yes your answer is very good and I will cite you about Detailed Location,
since you have already analyzed it :) (i still have to February - so by
then, I will hopefully have read your whole thesis and then I will add the
exact citation and page number) - how exciting is your work!

I am wondering whether to use the term 'symbol' or 'glyph' in my work -
can you explain why you chose 'glyph' rather than 'symbol'. I think it's
good that academics in a shared field use the same terminology, so if
there is good reason for your choice of the term 'glyph' I think I may
adopt it and say I adopted it from your work..

Thanks!!
Maria