New handshapes for the ISWA 2010

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 19 02:04:22 UTC 2012

Maria, you should look at Ethiopian sign language. We thought we were done, and then Ethiopian added more than 10 complicated handshapes. Some still can't be accomplished in ISWA 2010. Each country has its own phonological history and Ge'ez has a different hand alphabet than the western languages. I can't begin to think what Hindi or Japanese may need.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: MARIA GALEA <maria.azzopardi at UM.EDU.MT>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2012 9:53 PM
Subject: Re: New handshapes for the ISWA 2010

Hi Steve and Madson,

Prior to creating new handshapes for ISWA, you might want to make sure
such handshapes are truly required.

In the 10 active Literature Puddles I'm analyzing - not one of these
Puddles use all base handshapes of any given group (one of these are
Brazil). For example there is noone who uses all Group 1 (Index) symbols,
not one Puddle that uses all Group 2 (Index Middle) etc etc.. all the way
down to Group 10.

I strongly believe (and the analysis I'm carrying out points to this, and
is based on real evidence) that sign languages have enough (and more than
enough) symbols to represent their phonological inventories.

It is true that there are these nuances in sign language, where for
example a new sign entering the language uses a 'rare' handshape - however
the question is - can another more frequently used handshape be used
instead of this 'odd' handshape (and extremely low frequency)?  And more
importantly if the higher frequency symbol is used instead, does the sign
remain readable? If the answer to that is yes - than the likelihood is
that the low frequency symbol is not truly required to represent the given
language.

My question to Madson is this - can you use another symbol from the ISWA
to represent the handshape/s you have in mind? and if you write your signs
with the ISWA handshapes (similar symbols/glyphs, but perhaps not exactly
what you have in mind), do your signs remain readable in context? Can the
signs be read with ISWA symbols that are already there?

But then again, my study is about 'orthography' - the graphical
representation of specific languages.  I understand that ISWA (2010) goes
beyond this. ISWA (2010) can be used for phonetic transcriptions - and
having very detailed phonetic representations of sign language is in
itself very useful for phonetic studies.

Maria