New handshapes for the ISWA 2010

Wed Sep 19 13:39:01 UTC 2012

Hi Adam & Maria,

There are a huge amount of handshapes in the ISWA 2010.  No doubt. I can
agree that there's has to be something close enough.

But if a group of writers feels that they need a new handshape for their
language, I don't feel like I have the right to tell them no. I think it
is a matter of respect and empowerment.

If we add a new handshape, it should be essential with multiple examples
of use.  A unique handshape needed for a single sign probably doesn't
need to be added.

I think it would be best to stay with the existing handshapes, but my
gut keeps telling me that the writer's needs and pride in their language
may take precedence.

That's why I talked with Val about the possibility of new handshapes.
We agreed that we do not have the time to do this work ourselves, but if
a group was willing to follow the guidelines and do the work themselves,
we could be able to accommodate them with a minimum amount of disruption.

Regards,
-Steve