Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology of sign language

Rachel Channon rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Wed Dec 11 18:09:32 UTC 2013

Morphology in my mind, and off the top of my head, would mean things
like classifiers, fingerspelling, initialized signs and compounds.  It
is not the same thing as part of speech, because for example, an
initialized sign might be a noun or a verb or a preposition.  In some
cases, part of speech might be unclear (is this sign a verb or an
adjective?) but its morphological status as classifier might be pretty
clear.
Rachel

From: SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages
[mailto:SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU] On Behalf Of Valerie Sutton
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2013 12:40 PM
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Subject: Re: Design for SignPuddle 3: parts-of-speech and morphology
of sign language

SignWriting List
December 11, 2013

Hello Steve and everyone on the SignWriting List ;-)

I bet many people, if you ask them, "are you behind on anything?"
would answer "YES!" -

So you have taken on so many projects, and I want to thank you, Steve,
and thanks to all of you, for all you have accomplished in 2013.It has
been a remarkable year.

Regarding "morphologies of sign languages" . what do you all think? Is
that a category necessary for searching SignPuddle 3.0, which will be
coming in 2014?

Would you all use that searching technique?

Val ;-)

On Dec 11, 2013, at 8:33 AM, Stephen E Slevinski Jr