idea for SW book

Ingvild Roald iroald at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jan 15 10:30:20 UTC 2013

Would love to participate,

Ingvild

Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 12:18:06 -0500
From: erhoffma at OBERLIN.EDU
Subject: idea for SW book
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

Hi all! As some of you know, I am (slowly) working on a book
about SW – its development and use across different international sites
(including the transnational listserv). As part of this research I’ve traveled
to visit Valerie and some other list members, such as Stefan and Maria. I’d
love to visit everyone on the list (at least, every one who was willing!) but
unfortunately my limited funding won’t allow that. Still, I really want as many
interested SignWriters as possible to participate in the book. To that end, I
have an idea and I’m curious what you all think about it.

What if we selected some kind of passage that all of you who
were willing could translate into your respective sign language and write up
using SW? I could devote a chapter of the book to these different texts, which
would allow for a comparison across both different sign languages and different
ways of using SW. Each writer could perhaps reflect on the choices they made in
translating and writing their document, including perhaps how their
backgrounds/goals affect these choices. And perhaps participants could also
provide their own thoughts about what we can learn from the comparison of these
texts.

This is just my initial idea – if you have other ideas
please let me know!

Thanks!
Erika
--