Sign puddle online does not translate existing words

André Thibeault atg at VIDEOTRON.CA
Wed Oct 2 23:57:26 UTC 2013

Hi Steve and everyone,

Steve explained to SW list the difference between individual signs with
SignMaker and sign texts with SignText. I do understand them now.

Using the SignWriter Studio dictionary, André L. created signs and exported
them into SignPuddle. When the sign is misspelled, I try to edit it in
SignMaker from SignPuddle. I click on it from source André L. on the rewrite
button. But the sign disappears from the SignMaker box. Therefore, I cannot
edit it because SignMaker from SignPuddle does not work with sign texts from
theSignWriter Studio dictionary. Am I right, or am I missing something here?

Best regards,

André

De :  Stephen E Slevinski Jr <slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET>
Répondre à :  "SignWriting List: Read and Write Sign Languages"
<SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Date :  Wed, 02 Oct 2013 12:03:23 -0500
À :  <SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU>
Objet :  Re: Sign puddle online does not translate existing words

 On 10/2/13 11:37 AM, André L wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  Many of the words I entered in sign puddle using sign studio are not
> displayed in the translate feature.
>  Only the words are displayed without sign.
>  However, with a seach on the same words, the sign is displayed.

 Hi Andre,

 The translate feature works with individual signs that were created in
SignMaker.

 The translate feature does not work with sign texts that were created with
SignText.

 Looking at the "assis" entry:
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/canvas.php?ui=1&sgn=47&sid=4400

 The sign is boxed and a lower font size.  This indicates it was created
with SignText.  Under the "Source", you can see the "SignText data" links.
This sign will not work in the current translate.

 Here is "assistant" in the same dictionary.

 Notice that it is not boxed and a larger font size.  This indicates is was
created with SignMaker.  Under the "Search.." links, you can see the "Sign
data" links.  This sign will work in translate.

 So that's the problem.  You say you created this with "sign studio".  Are
you talking about Jonathan's SignWriter Studio?  Or did you use SignText?

 The solution is to move the signs from the sign text area to individual
signs.  I'm not sure the best way to do this.

 How many entries are like this?

 Regards,

Valerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu