ASL WIKIPEDIA New Postings =?windows-1252?Q?=85_?=35 articles now ...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Oct 14 19:32:47 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
October 14, 2013

Hello Yair!
It is a pleasure to hear from you here on the SignWriting List.

Steve is away today but will be back on the SignWriting List tomorrow, so I am sure you will hear his answer soon ...

Meanwhile, let me explain the best I can. I am just a lay person, when it comes to software development, so please know I am not speaking for Steve…But I can tell you my understanding of what I believe is happening…

We technically already have permission and some work done on the incubator version of the ASL Wikipedia Project at:

ASL Wikipedia on Incubator
http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wp/ase

but Steve needs to do some more software development for everything to work on the Incubator first, and to work more with other developers like yourself, and then he plans to move over all the articles we are writing on the Wikimeida Labs to the ASL Incubator site…

So yes we know that the Incubator is the next step…we are just not there yet, so while Steve finishes SignPuddle 3 development and uploads it in the next few weeks, and then he will have time to work on the Wikipedia development, we are waiting for him to be ready, so we are writing lots of articles while we are waiting - Can't hurt to have all those lovely articles that are a blessing right now for Deaf and ASL students - Right now, the current articles are being read and are valuable to us… even though they are over on Wikimedia Labs -

Did you know we are planning a SignWriting Symposium in July 2014 in La Jolla, California?  Perhaps you would be interested in attending? It is our hope to have, as a part of the Symposium, something like a Hackathon, to be able to give developers a chance to work together to make sign language Wikipedias viable…I know Steve wants that  - and we do too. The Symposium will also include presentations on SignWriting research and SignWriting workshops, so it will have three venues...

That is what I know right now, and please write again with any suggestions -

Val ;-)

---------

On Oct 14, 2013, at 12:04 PM, Yair Rand <yyairrand at GMAIL.COM> wrote:

> [...]
>

> On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com> wrote:
> SignWriting List
> October 14, 2013
>
> Hi Nancy -
> This is wonderful …I do not know anything about NASCAR so I look forward to reading your article in ASL!
>
> Val ;-)
>
> ------
>

> On Oct 14, 2013, at 10:25 AM, Romero <romero at SIGNWRITING.ORG> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Valerie!
>>
>> Translating about NASCAR because of the variety (there's also a lot of $ invested in the sport; maybe they'll send us some! haha).
>>
>> Nancy
>>
>> On Oct 14, 2013, at 10:22 AM, Valerie Sutton <signwriting at mac.com> wrote:
>>
>>> SignWriting List
>>> October 14, 2013
>>>
>>> Thank you, Nancy, for the gift of these new articles in the ASL Wikipedia… I believe we have 35 articles now! This is such a blessing…
>>>
>>> I really enjoyed reading the sign for Alaska ;-))
>>>
>>> Alaska
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Alaska
>>>
>>> Diabetes mellitus
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus
>>>
>>> USS Constellation
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/USS_Constellation
>>>
>>> Veterinary physician
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Veterinary_physician
>>>
>>> See below for the complete list of 35 articles….
>>>
>>> ------------------------
>>>
>>> <Wikipedia_Logo.jpg>
>>>

>>> ASL Wikipedia Project on Wikimedia Labs
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org
>>>
>>> 35 ARTICLES IN THE ASL WIKIPEDIA, as of October 14, 2013
>>>
>>> 1
>>> Abraham Lincoln
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln
>>>
>>> 2
>>> Adam Frost
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Adam_Frost
>>>
>>> 3
>>> Alaska
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Alaska
>>>
>>> 4
>>> Alice Cogswell
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Alice_Cogswell
>>>
>>> 5
>>> America The Beautiful
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/America_The_Beautiful
>>>
>>> 6
>>> American Sign Language
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/American_Sign_Language
>>>
>>> 7
>>> Bill of Rights
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Bill_of_Rights
>>>
>>> 8
>>> California School for the Deaf, Riverside

>>> Chargers
>>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Chargers
>>>
>>> 11
>>> Charles-Michel de l'Epee