Heel of Hand or Top View

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Sep 20 20:57:08 UTC 2013

SignWriting List
September 20, 2013

Hello Jonathan, Nancy and Stefan -

Thank so much Nancy, for your answer, which is perfect. That is the way that we are using these symbols. We just recognize them as parallel with the floor, and they are readable to us.

And thank you, Stefan, for I believe your suggestion? that we change the Heel of Hand symbols someday?

If I have understood your question… you would prefer that the Heel of Hand symbols, which are Front View, have no gap between the finger and the base of the hand since they are not Top View? That would be a change to the symbols in the ISWA 2010, and the software developers are using the ISWA 2010. So Jonathan has no choice but to use them as they are.

But if you choose to use the Heel of Hand symbols, and you want to fill that little gap between the finger lines and the base of the hand, you are welcome to do so - just find a little line under Finger Lines in the ISWA 2010 and fill the gap yourself…

If we ever solidify a new symbol set…maybe the ISWA 2020…who knows?! we can consider changing the symbols if there are many people who feel they need it, but for some reason these symbols feel right to me… I guess I am just used to them...

The Heel of Hand Symbols are old symbols that were used maybe three decades ago - while I was in Denmark for example, and we were using stick figures, we had the Heel of Hand symbols…in the 1980's. The Top View didn't exist at that time, so when I brought the old Heel of Hand symbols back into the ISWA 2010, I never thought of this …for me I thought they looked really readable…

So Jonathan - Regarding searching in your software…let me still find you the pages in the book…they are coming…

Val ;-)

---------