Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Jonathan Duncan duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Thu Aug 14 02:05:50 UTC 2014

Hi Charles,
     I watched your talk again today.  I realized that what I call "Sign
Sequence" you call "Sign Spelling".  I guess it is "SignSpelling
Sequence".  So I didn't understand that the first time.  So now after
this more attentive listening to your talk, I see that you definitely
are using SignSpelling Sequence for all your entries and that you are
doing them manually the same way Val suggested in the SignSpelling
Guidelines.
     Am I correct in my understanding that which symbols come first in
the sorted list is different from the way SignPuddle is sorting?

Your sorting would be sorted by the
1. First by symbol in the sign sequence's basegroup of the first hand in
the SignSpelling Sequence
2. What figure (See the individual chapters)? *I need more explanation
about this one.*
3. The for each basegroup sort by fill

4. In each fill sorting, sort by rotation *( but not distinguishing
between right and left hands.
I see you number both from 1 to 8 in instead of numbering them all from
1 to 16)*

5. Location symbol. comes after hand symbol when comparing.
 From first to last
No Body - hand to hand, head, body

5.1 Location sorting on hand *contact order doesn't seem to be defined yet*

5.2 Head location sorting

5.3 Body body
Indicate the location of the body, placing the graphic in the left lane,
the middle lane, or
right lane. - *Need this explained I'm not understanding.*
*Needs to have numbering for which comes first for body location**
*

6 - What is contact? No order, any can come first.

7.7 - Finger bends (ie no order)?No order, any can come first.

8 - Movement? Vertical, then Horizontal, then Arc - up / down, up /
abaxo + rotation, then up / down bow
after / below + arc rotation, face bow, face bow + rotation

*Need to define which come first within the vertical, and which come
first within the horizontal, etc.**  Or just current default currently
in ISWA2010
**Need to define movement symbols in other planes, etc.
***

9 Timing. *Which comes first?*

10 Faces and posture.
*Not sure about this one, would like more explanation.*

Also you need to output a dictionary that has,

hand
spelling
sign
Portuguese
ASL
english

Do you currently have any way of keeping all this information in Sign
Puddle?
SignWriter Studio can do
spelling
sign-LIBRAS
Portuguese
English
Source

I was hoping to add a second SignLanguage to do a dictionary with two
sign languages but I haven't programmed that yet.

I am still working on finalizing the output for the dictionary. So I am
looking for your input whether you use it or not.

Please fill me in where I am lacking and correct me where I am wrong.

Regards,

Jonathan