Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 14 04:47:15 UTC 2014

Valerie has an imposed order by an encoded sign-symbol-sequence taking precedence over her "default" one.

I had to sort mine manually, there may be ways for you to achieve yours by other methods in your new program, but if you impose it by the software at the beginning, then you will have to impose a "Sign Spelling Sequence" as the default at some point, as unless you know a sign, all you see in the dictionary is the completed one, not its inherent order when it is made of multiple syllables.

Charles Butler
chazzer3332000 at yahoo.com
240-764-5748
Clear writing moves business forward.

________________________________
 From: Jonathan Duncan <duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA>
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 1:17 PM
Subject: Re: Ordering Signs in Dictionaries

Hi Val,
    I wrote to Charles, but posted to the list as I am interested in
    everybody´s input on the subject. :-)

Please share more about the two ways sorting is being done.

Jonathan

On 8/13/2014 1:01 PM, Valerie Sutton wrote:

SignWriting List
August 13, 2014

Jonathan and Charles -
Perhaps you are working privately together and if so that is wonderful ;-)

I do not want to impose my ideas about sorting dictionaries, since this was an email for Charles and not for me - smile -

and I agree with Jonathan, Charles, that your presentation 10 at the SignWriting Symposium was a great addition to the presentations…

So is it ok with you that I tell you how we are sorting signs here? There are actually two ways we are doing it now…

Val ;-)

--------