[Sw-l] Questions about Head movement symbols

André L andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA
Wed Dec 17 04:52:27 UTC 2014

Thank you very much for the help.

I did not understand your English for D.  Is it a forward-backward movement or left-right movement?

D. this is the MOVEMENT of titling back and forth - the face remains looking forward but the head tilts at the ears back and forth side to side

The illustration is not mine :( it is from a university LSQ grammar book I am translating to SignWriting notation to attract new sign writers.

Do you think it would be interesting to have a complete correspondance guide between Stokoe and SignWriting to attract new sign writers?  Is Stokoe notation used?

André Lemyre

Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:42:55 -0800
From: signwriting at MAC.COM
Subject: Re: Questions about Head movement symbols
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

SignWriting ListDecember 16, 2014
Referring to the attached diagram…A - F
A. represents the movement of tilting your head so your nose is at a slant…but it is the MOVEMENT of moving into that tilted position, so it is the movement of tilting - you are still looking straight front but tilting the ear over to one side
B. This is a Face Direction Line showing the static position of the nose directed at a tilt but also the nose is directed up too - so it is an upward tilted position
C. This is a movement of the nose going in the direction of the arc finishing at the arrowhead.
D. this is the MOVEMENT of titling back and forth - the face remains looking forward but the head tilts at the ears back and forth side to side
E. this is a MOVEMENT of TILT-TILT to one side - a double movement
F. This is a static position - it is a Face Direction Line, showing the direction of the nose, looking down and over to one side
As far as writing the position in the picture - F is actually pretty close except it should be flopped because we are writing Expressive so from our own point of view, the person is looking over her right shoulder…
The person in the picture is not tilting, because a tilt is still looking front. She has turned her nose to the right and then down so F is a good one for that..
Another issue is eyegaze - sometimes writing eyegaze says a lot to give the feeling of a sign -
Val ;-)
PS. Nice illustration ;-)
-------

On Dec 16, 2014, at 6:45 PM, André L <andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA> wrote: Hello,

I try to write the symbol for the chin almost touching the shoulder.  Which symbols should I use as a static position and as a movement?
Also,  I would like to know the difference between the following symbols from a to f.

Thanks

André lemyre

________________________________________________SIGNWRITING LIST INFORMATIONValerie Sutton SignWriting List moderator sutton at signwriting.orgPost Messages to the SignWriting List: sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.eduSignWriting List Archives & Home Page http://www.signwriting.org/forums/swlistJoin, Leave or Change How You Receive SW List Messages http://listserv.valenciacollege.edu/cgi-bin/wa?SUBED1=SW-L&A=1

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List:
sw-l at listserv.valenciacollege.edu