Animations to teach signwriting

André L andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA
Wed Jan 8 17:18:27 UTC 2014

I fully agree with you.
It would need some software to generate the gif.  People would stay within the SignWriting environment.  That way we would ensure that the frames are in the correct order.

Also,
The avatar is much expressive than the gif.  However it needs more resource, the avatar itself may not fit in a powerpoint presentation.  Also the animated gif would help more learning to write SignWriting movement.  Animation would show handshape transformation in a written form.  The avatar would be like the visual communication, SignWriting the written form and animation the spelling.  We would need Deaf people to tell us if for a long text, they prefer a slide show of SignWriting (concise and dense) or a series of animations for each word (clearer but slower for an experienced reader).

Some movement symbols may not replaceable like a finger rotation or a wrist rotation.  Contact symbols would remain necessary.

Maybe would should do an effort to help the avatar by providing the optional "spelling" and "positioning" in the dictionaries.  I will post another conversation with a link on how to spell SignWriting.  I have to search the database to see where it was on the web site.

André Lemyre
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2014 06:19:54 -0600
From: duncanjonathan at YAHOO.CA
Subject: Re: Animations to teach signwriting
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

    Hello,

        Along the same lines, when doing transtions from one handshape
    to another or one face to another, I think that it would be a good
    idea to save each of the intermediate frames in the Puddle and
    properly label them as to was sign they correspond and which frame.
    Also a word denoting that these are not regular Signwriting but
    rather "stills" of a sign. They could come in real handy latter to
    do another rendering, like avatars for example.  Animated GIF is a
    rendered format and information about the symbols in each of the
    frames is lost for future uses.

    Jonathan