Fwd: The Puddle that became an Ocean...

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jan 20 23:01:08 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
January 20, 2014

Hello Maria and everyone -

There are three Puddle files related to translating the Bible into American Sign Language:

ASL Bible Dictionary
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=28

ASL Bible Books NLT
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=151

ASL Bible Books Shores Deaf Church
http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle2.0/index.php?ui=1&sgn=152

The NLT stands for New Living Translation, which is an English translation of the Bible. Nancy is basing her ASL translations on the NLT Bible, and writing directly in ASL. Nancy is an ASL interpreter. She is not transcribing from video - she is translating directly, and writing how she would sign the passages, if she were interpreting it.

Members of the Shores Deaf Church, with Pastor Ron Dettloff, are transcribing ASL videos made by another group, the Deaf Missions, who re-told the Bible into ASL on video. Ron and his church got permission to transcribe those videos into SignWriting.

So they are two totally different styles of writing. And it got confusing when their files were all in the same Puddle, because they were both writing the Book of Acts - and they were different styles of writing Acts - so now the two styles are separated so we can see consistency in the writings -

I am delighted we did this - it was best for everyone - and we all can read the files anytime -

Nancy just completed the entire Book of Acts, and is only two books away from completing the entire New Testament!

And the Deaf Shores Church continues as well - both wonderful projects -

I am so sorry this causes trouble for your data, Maria. Since Nancy is creating documents daily with lightning speed, there is no way your data from 2012 could be accurate - she already has much of Mark done, which is one of the two remaining books she has to complete to complete the New Testament, so she is working so fast I doubt your sign count will ever be accurate ;-)

Can you count the signs again for January 2014?

Val ;-)

PS. As far as I know, Nancy is no longer on the SW List, at least for the moment -