Meaning of Teeth, Tongue and Cheeks symbols

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Thu Jun 26 02:12:55 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
June 24, 2014

Hello André -
Sorry for my delay in answering - Actually I do not see your A, B and C below to mean the same movement - of course the Jaw goes up and down, so in that sense it is the same but A is very small chattering of teeth - like trembling on the tongue, and B is really biting the tongue - ouch! and C is down-down-down , which is not the same as OUCH!

smile -

so the emphasis and the feeling behind these movements are important -

You know, the little hashtags - the Strike Symbols - those I took from a cartoon series I saw once where they used those in the cartoon to show a person getting struck by something - it was used to show the process of being hit, or struck -

When it comes to animating these, I would think the mouth that is open before the movement would be different depending on the circumstance..so it could be what you have there, or it could be a variety of other open mouth symbols and tongue symbols depending on the situation…which is not much help I realize - I do not know of a rule to suggest -

While we are chatting, I want to let you all know that I am working on the web pages, and Presentation 15 from Tunisia (we have two wonderful presentations from Tunisia) - Presentation 15 by Mohamed Ali Balti, Wafa Laajili and Fedi Bahri - they are doing animation of SignWriting - I did not know this until a few days ago - they sent me some videos to post - at the moment I have one video posted of them teaching in Deaf classroom:

http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0015.html

So maybe you might want to communicate about this -

I will be working on your page soon, André ;-)

I will tell you when I post their animation videos -

Thanks so much for your questions - I suspect I didn’t help much this evening -

Val ;-)

——