Meaning of Teeth, Tongue and Cheeks symbols

André L andre-andre at HOTMAIL.CA
Thu Jun 26 04:09:05 UTC 2014

Hello,
I expected that the answer would be that the initial mouth position depends on previous expressions.  So, I will explain it like that in the SignAnimating guide.

Because the emphasis and feeling are important:
A will keep the zig-zag for chattering.
B will remain the same with the option of putting the impact symbol, in the face or beside it if it is not confused with a handshape strike.
C will be moved up and down in the face.
This way no information is lost.

Also, for question D and E, is the mouth opened?

Thanks.

André Lemyre

Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2014 19:12:55 -0700
From: signwriting at MAC.COM
Subject: Re: Meaning of Teeth, Tongue and Cheeks symbols
To: SW-L at LISTSERV.VALENCIACOLLEGE.EDU

SignWriting ListJune 24, 2014
Hello André -Sorry for my delay in answering - Actually I do not see your A, B and C below to mean the same movement - of course the Jaw goes up and down, so in that sense it is the same but A is very small chattering of teeth - like trembling on the tongue, and B is really biting the tongue - ouch! and C is down-down-down , which is not the same as OUCH!
smile -
so the emphasis and the feeling behind these movements are important -
You know, the little hashtags - the Strike Symbols - those I took from a cartoon series I saw once where they used those in the cartoon to show a person getting struck by something - it was used to show the process of being hit, or struck -
When it comes to animating these, I would think the mouth that is open before the movement would be different depending on the circumstance..so it could be what you have there, or it could be a variety of other open mouth symbols and tongue symbols depending on the situation…which is not much help I realize - I do not know of a rule to suggest -
While we are chatting, I want to let you all know that I am working on the web pages, and Presentation 15 from Tunisia (we have two wonderful presentations from Tunisia) - Presentation 15 by Mohamed Ali Balti, Wafa Laajili and Fedi Bahri - they are doing animation of SignWriting - I did not know this until a few days ago - they sent me some videos to post - at the moment I have one video posted of them teaching in Deaf classroom:
http://www.signwriting.org/symposium/presentation0015.html
So maybe you might want to communicate about this -
I will be working on your page soon, André ;-)
I will tell you when I post their animation videos -
Thanks so much for your questions - I suspect I didn’t help much this evening -
Val ;-)
——

On Jun 24, 2014, at 9:58 PM, André L <andre-andre at hotmail.ca> wrote:Hello Valerie,
thank you for your answer.  I know you are very busy with 40 presentations.

If I understand well, Answer 1, 2 and 3 describe the same movement with variation of speed and repetition.  To animate such motion, I need at least 1 other mouth configuration.  Should I use the neutral mouth, the opened mouth (like in question G) or move the teeth symbol up toward the nose and down toward the chin?

For answer 4, 5 and 6, it this sequence adequate for animation?

For question D and question E, I would like to know if we should represent an opened mouth or if the mouth symbol simply indicates the hidden tongue movement behind a close mouth?

Do you think that question F and G are good representation of the mouth movement?

Thanks again.

André Lemyre