Question about torso tilts

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Mon Jun 23 14:54:01 UTC 2014

SignWriting List
June 23, 2014

Hello André -
Good illustrations you have attached below…

Here are the answers…starting with your last question first…

3. Question: If a forward movement was represented in an animation by a zoom out, then my 2 first drawings are correct and the 3rd should not be used ?

Answer: YES.

2. Question: In both cases the hip line is static?

Answer: YES.

1. Question: the torso tilt and the body tilts are the same, only the amplitude is different?

Answer: No. The Shoulder Tilts tilt from the rib cage (the spine is not straight). It is dis-jointed, from the upper spine only, from the chest only, like only a Classic Mime Artist like Marcel Marceau could do.

The Upper Body Tilt (with the symbol on top of the head) tilts from a straight spine from the hip. It is true tilt from a locked spine.

But you do not need to worry about this in your animation of sign languages, which are not Classic Mime. Questions 2 and 3 above are both a YES…so just go ahead with the animation and no problems -

These Tilting Symbols developed through the writing of Classic Mime - the kind of Mime that is performed on stage like great Mime Artists such as Marcel Marceau from France, trained by the famous Classic Mime teacher Etienne Decroux in Paris. We actually went to Paris (I didn’t but one of our DanceWriters did) and wrote the training system of Etienne Decroux’s Classic Mime - and in that training system they differentiated between tilts that came from the ribcage and tilts that came from a straight spine from the hips….so the hips stay in one place in both cases, but the Shoulder Tilts are more internally disjointed and move the ribcage and shoulders only, but not the lower body -

Thank you for your animation project, André - what matters is to animate sign languages and I appreciate it that you are creating this presentation -

I am making headway - I have around 15 web pages for the Symposium filled with bios, photos, abstracts and videos -

Val ;-)

--------