ISWA web font

Stephen E Slevinski Jr slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Thu Sep 4 20:49:44 UTC 2014

On 9/4/14, 9:47 AM, Jonathan Duncan wrote:
> On the page there is a link to
> http://manufacturaindependente.com/colorfont/ and
> http://manufacturaindependente.com/colorfont/workshop-lgm2012.html
> which might be quite useful for us too and works in other browsers
> beside FireFox.  We would need to implement a colorfont to work with
> the javascript.

Colorfont.js is an interesting idea.  We could possibly use it with
Eduardo's work.  We could release one font for the line and another font
for the fill (overlay).

If we are using SVG Glyphs, I do not believe we will need Colorfont.  I
have created a special section on the ISWA 2010 font reference for the
SVG Glyphs work that is based on the future Unicode 8 specification to
be released next year.

See the Unicode 8 section of the ISWA 2010 Font Reference page.
http://signpuddle.net/iswa/#unicode8

I've put together a SignWriting Font Test Page that lists the SVG,
Eduardo's smart font, and the Unicode 8 specification.
http://signpuddle.net/iswa/swfont_test.html

In a simple data file, each SVG glyph is named with a Unicode string of
1 to 3 characters and appears on its own line in the text file. It
should be easy to process.  The SVG Glyphs font would be usable in
Firefox.  The SVG Glyphs may be useful in other browsers in the future.
http://signpuddle.net/iswa/iswa_unicode.zip (1.1 MB)

Once we have an OpenType Font for the Unicode 8 specification, we can
use the previously listed SignWriting Font Test Page to verify the font.

Interesting to note that Incubator uses Vertical Writing Mode which is
not yet supported in Firefox.  So the SVG Glyphs project may not be
useful for the Incubator project.

Regards,
-Steve