[Sw-l] SW Keyboard

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Mar 25 03:21:55 UTC 2015

SignWriting List
March 24, 2015

I would start with the International SignWriting Alphabet (ISWA 2010) HTML Reference Guide:

http://www.signbank.org/iswa/ <http://www.signbank.org/iswa/>

There are over 37,000 symbols, if you count every rotation and flop and palm facing and different sizes of symbols and so forth -

And we already have keyboard designs…

But if you could do something new…like showing the picture of a hand, and then helping people learn to type with our existing keyboard designs - from that photograph, or from that life-like illustration, or from that animation, or from that spoken word, or whatever the inspiration -

That might really be useful -

I spent a decade of my life designing and working with Richard Gleaves on the SignWriter Computer Program's many keyboards, but not very many people learned to type with them - they instead picked at them with one finger at a time rather than doing speed-typing as I could…

I really wish people will learn to speed-type, but to do that they need to really know where all the symbols are…so the instruction was lacking -

And maybe other keyboards, like the new one of Yair Rand’s, could use a user friendly interface that would bring those who do not know SignWriting into typing it…just a thought - the more help you can provide users to learn to use the keyboards the better, based on something visual like animation or illustrations…

Take a look at Adam Frost’s work:

Animated Lessons in the ISWA 2010
http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/iswa/group01/01-01-001-01.html <http://www.signwriting.org/lessons/iswa/group01/01-01-001-01.html>

Val ;-)