[Sw-l] SW Keyboard

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Wed Mar 25 13:59:13 UTC 2015

And then there is the SignWriter Tiger code, a program that never got finished but the code is there for anyone to download and there was a keyboard in Java -

SignWriter Tiger Sources
http://www.signwriter.org <http://www.signwriter.org/>

Val ;-)

————

> [...]
>>
>> http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0049-SWDOS-Type-Signs.pdf <http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0049-SWDOS-Type-Signs.pdf>
>>
>> As far as really using that keyboard, the problem is that it is an old program and you will need to download DOSBOX and install it on your computer and then download SignWriter DOS and install it inside of DOSBOX:
>>
>> SignWriter DOS Computer Program
>> http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/index.html <http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/index.html>
>>

>> Then start the program and start playing around with the keyboard…
>>
>> So this Sign Keyboard which I designed is not inside a more modern program right now…I would love it if someone were willing to program the general design that we developed for SignWriter DOS, and somehow get it to work within newer more modern programs, but most software developers want to develop their own style of keyboard design…so if you want to do your own from scratch that is ok, but you have a big learning curve - you will need to know SignWriting (the ISWA 2010) and perhaps write some sign language yourself in SignPuddle Online - write a sign language document yourself with the drag and drop system in SignPuddle Online for awhile to see the symbols and how they work to get a feel as to what is needed -
>>
>> Have you read our ASL Wikipedia articles? A typing system needs to be able to create these kinds of articles:
>>
>> http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page <http://ase.wikipedia.wmflabs.org/wiki/Main_Page>
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/ase/ <http://incubator.wikimedia.org/wiki/Special:PrefixIndex/Wp/ase/>
>>
>> Have you tried to type with Yair Rand’s keyboard?
>> https://806e8abcad89c3043886d9f62a7903edbba39fa1.googledrive.com/host/0B1Pz4n6wXAfvT18yOTFoSE5Sa2s/SWKB.html <https://806e8abcad89c3043886d9f62a7903edbba39fa1.googledrive.com/host/0B1Pz4n6wXAfvT18yOTFoSE5Sa2s/SWKB.html>
>>
>> I am sure you will find your way Yu - I am just trying to give you a little experience with a very big subject matter - start writing some signs with SignPuddle right now… http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/ <http://www.signbank.org/signpuddle/>  … and through experience it will start to give you ideas -
>>
>> Val ;-)

>>> On Mar 24, 2015, at 9:27 PM, Yu Zhang <yz13kh at STUDENT.OCADU.CA <mailto:yz13kh at STUDENT.OCADU.CA>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Val and Andre,
>>>
>>> Thank you for your reply and resources!
>>>
>>> Is this the keyboard that people are using and Val, you said you can type quickly while other people just type with one finger?http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey001.html <http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/fingkeys/fkey001.html> And if there can be an tutorial for people to learn how to use it will be great?

>>> http://www.signwriting.org/downloads/ <http://www.signwriting.org/downloads/>
>>> and

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: