[Sw-l] SWunicode and ELAN annotation tool

Stephen Slevinski slevin at SIGNPUDDLE.NET
Fri Jan 13 14:18:38 UTC 2017

On 1/13/17 7:32 AM, Claudia S. Bianchini wrote:
> I would like to know if someone has tried to use SW unicode font in ELAN
> ("electronic language annotator"... a tool for linguistic annotation that
> is very used in SL linguistics research... see
> https://tla.mpi.nl/tools/tla-tools/elan/).

Hi Claudia,

Right now, you could use individual symbols in ELAN, but not completed
signs.

With the new Unicode proposal and associated font development, you could
use completed signs in ELAN. It should be available by the end of this year.

> Does it work (with iOS and/or Windows)? Are there some visualisation
> problems? Do you think they are solvable? Everything you can tell will be
> fine...
The current symbol fonts work on all operating systems.  The fonts are
available for download and installation.
* https://github.com/Slevinski/signwriting_2010_fonts

The new fonts are targeting the Universal Shaping Engine.  This is
available on Windows 10, OS X, iOS, and it is available in on open
source text shaper called HarfBuzz.  So the new fonts should work on all
operating systems and should work in pretty much any application.
Imagine using SignWriting in Excel or any of the office applications.
Exciting possibilities.

Regards,
-Steve