[Sw-l] SWunicode and ELAN annotation tool

Valerie Sutton signwriting at MAC.COM
Fri Jan 13 18:28:14 UTC 2017

SignWriting List
January 13, 2017

Hello Claudia!
Great to hear from you...Congratulations on being the mother of twins! ;-)

And it is good to know that you are back in SL research too...

ELAN is one of the benefits of Steve's current project for a new way of approaching SignWriting in Unicode. SignWriting is already accepted and a part of Unicode, but if I understand it correctly, there are 17 needed symbols for "layout" ...special symbols that will make it possible to place the SignWriting characters in visual clusters, and also to write vertically ... At the moment around 97.5% of SignWriting is working in Unicode but that last percentage needs to be added and accepted before ELAN will work with SignWriting properly...

If I have not explained something properly above, please forgive. I am not a programmer. But I sense Steve's feeling of inspiration, that there is a solution and a very specific and precise solution - It is just a matter of designing a new SignWriting TrueType Font that incorporates this 2-D information -

Over the years several groups have asked to have ELAN work with SignWriting, so we are excited that probably by the end of this year the solution will be there and we can work with ELAN - pretty cool, huh?

I believe this will be cross-platform so there should be no problem with iOS and Windows...

Your English is excellent!

Thank you for writing again - I miss hearing from so many List members and your message is a gift ;-)

Val ;-)

-------

sutton at signwriting.org

Post Messages to the SignWriting List: