[Sw-l] [SPAM] RE: Forearm Rotation or axial motion symbols

rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET rchannon1 at VERIZON.NET
Sat Feb 3 02:27:06 UTC 2018

Thank you Valerie!  The video was very helpful!!  Here is what I understand:  the point of the rotation axis line is to show that the movement is very constricted – a very small radius.    Normally, when we move the arm thru space, we don’t stop to think about whether it’s the pinky or the thumb moving because everything is moving together. Aand because it’s a big motion, the thumb and pinky are moving in the same direction.  But with the rotation movements, we need to select either the thumb or the pinky and concentrate on the curve that one of them is making.

I think this is the remaining problem – how do I know if the curving arrow means the pinky or the thumb?  Because, when the hand rotates, the pinky and thumb have opposite curves.  For example, if I sign CLOSE, my pinky finger rotates from center  to right.  But my thumb rotates leftward from right to center.  So which symbol should I use? An arrow curving to the right or an arrow curving to the left?    (I’m just talking about the right hand here – of course the problem is the same for the left hand, but reversed)

I’m also thinking about what you said about a  fulcrum – the line that the hand rotates around. And in some cases, the pinky finger is near the center of the fulcrum – it hardly moves at all, but the thumb moves through a much bigger circle.  Other times, the thumb moves less, and the pinky moves more.

If I put my hands together for BOOK, and then I open my hands so the palms face me and the pinkies are together, the pinky stays still, and the thumbs move through a curve.  Right thumb moves right, left thumb moves left.

If I put my hands together in the same way, but instead of signing book, I keep the thumbs together and open the hands so the palms face toward the viewer, then the pinky fingers will move – right pinky to right, left pinky to left.

Or, if I want to sign CLOSE, then it’s as though each hand has its separate axis.  The pinky fingers stay close to that axis, and the thumbs move through a curve.

If I sign CLASS it’s as though there is a fulcrum that isn’t on either hand but in the space between the hands.  So that both the thumbs and pinky move.

I know that for some signwriting  symbols, you have to look at the other symbols to fully understand the meaning.  For example, rubbing can be straight or curved and you have to look at the associated arrows to determine which it is.  Is this also the case with rotation?  That to understand whether the curving movement refers to pinky or thumb or both, we need to look at the other symbols?

These are very interesting conversations – I think linguists still have a lot to learn about rotating movement.

Best, Rachel